Friday, March 28, 2008

A Roasting 'Puaka'

This is a picture of a roasting puaka--the Tongan word for pig-- while my dad rotates it on a spit. We had purchased it earlier that morning and had brought it to some friends to 'take care' of it. As Dad, Dallin, and I watched them kill it, I felt my stomach sway and pointed out that I didn't fancy squealing pigs. So I left for a moment to recover, and the next time I saw it they were shaving the fur off after boiling its head in a pot of hot water. Last, they ran a pole through the pig and they took turns turning and rotating it over the fire. My comment on the killing of the pig was: at first they used a knife no sharper than a butter knife to kill it, and eventually got another one. It made me think of it a little differently when I started to eat it.
-Lincoln Higginson
P.S. all of the earlier posts were done by Michaela.

1 comment:

Laura said...

eww... that is so hard to look at!!! :( Did you eat it?